Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Stress and a mess all for a chicken breast!

Many of us feel like we're ready to perform surgery once we finish scrubbing both our kitchens after working with chicken. Today, I was ready to perform right on my counter! Living in Maui means many of my beloved food items are WAY too expensive living on a budget, especially now a days. A couple weeks ago whole chickens were only 99 cents a pound, so I bought a few and put them in the freezer. I took one out last night and defrosted in the fridge so I could make two dishes this week from one chicken. Panko and Parmesan crusted chicken tonight and chicken adobo, a Filipino dish tomorrow. I think I did a pretty decent job, check it out:

I got two pieces out of each chicken breast and pounded each piece into a chicken cutlet.


Then I dusted each with a little cornstarch, dipped in the egg wash and then into the Panko/Parmesan mixture



Let the chicken sit a few minutes and then sauteed in olive oil and butter. Once I transferred to the oven to stay warm I added a few lemon slices and butter to the pan to drizzle on top.

I didn't put much thought into my side dishes until afterward. I roasted some potatoes in olive oil and crushed rosemary and sauteed some zucchini and mushrooms. The next time I make this dish, I will make garlic mashed potatoes and roasted zucchini! It was a delish dish!

Egg Wash:
2 whole eggs + one egg white
1 1/2 T dijon mustard

Breading:
1 C panko crumbs
1/2 C parmesan
1/2 C pecorino
3/4 t salt
1/2 t pepper

3 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Chicken cutlets is one of my childrens favorite dinners.. one they all will eat. Ill have to try the panko next time!

Spryte said...

I can't wait to see your Chicken Adobo recipe! My daughter asked me to make some a couple days ago!

Steph said...

I don't even eat chicken and you make me want chicken!!!!!